24 January 2008

Thank You Kevin Trudeau

Last decade I was privileged to work closely with Kevin Trudeau, the Mega Memory guy you see on television infomercials. Over the course of perhaps four years we worked together in conjunction with Nightingale-Conant, developing a handful of international business enterprises.

Chatting with my eldest son recently, he recalled one life-changing moment when we were on the set of a Hollywood-style video production. Dozens of people bustled around when Kevin suddenly turned to my then 16-year old lad and said, "Here. When this vibrates, answer it, 'Kevin's phone!' and chat with them. Show them your personality. Take a number, and let me know who called." To EJ's (and all of his staff's) shocked look he simply assured, "Listen, I've seen you. You can do it. You're better than you know." The first thought that flashed through my mind was how many potential million-dollar deals might chance to come through his phone whilst he was away for a few hours. But he was right-- my son already had confidence, had read some of the success books, and Kevin's challenge changes his life still. I saw EJ straighten that day-- not figuratively, but forever and still. It's a very sobering thing when someone trusts you. It can change your life forever.

So, too, as the years roll by I am increasingly grateful for Kevin's personal tutelage and instructions to me. His list of recommended books has changed my life forever. Dozens of motivational classics sit in my bookshelf, ready at hand. I devour motivational audio in the car, and listen as I work my 16-hour days. I set yearly, monthly, and daily goals and measure my progress, and each day print out a list of to-do items, striving to be better.

Funny, though how I saw others scoff at Kevin, or heard them berate his advice.

The years go by. I'm privileged to befriend another billionaire, Mr. William Farley, part owner of the Chicago White Sox and CEO of Fruit of the Loom clothing (to name but two enterprises). It's wonderful to receive an e-mail out of the blue with, "Looking forward to seeing you again."

But rich people don't think like poor people.

I was meeting with Mr. Farley ("Bill") when he quietly mentioned to a group of top leaders that his life had been changed by the book "Think And Grow Rich"[an!] . I began applauding heartfelt appreciation-- but was surprised to hear me clap alone. He looked at me and we smiled a sort of brotherhood that began between us that has even rewarded the two of us with an actual discovery of earliest-known recordings of Napoleon Hill, author of the life-changing book. Funny thing though is people look at us like we're two crazy kids.

And so far, it seems no one else has picked up the book despite Bill's hint. Rather unbelievable, but 20% of 80/20 I guess.

For myself, I squarely owe Kevin a debt of gratitude, and I thank him publicly. I also thank God for exposure to these unique men, and further seek their counsel on temporal applications of spiritual principles. Whilst I'm not in the class of these leaders, for whatever reason I am in their company. Under Kevin's tutelage I've already laid a foundation for a rich relationship with Bill Farley. I can "see" Bill with the insight of Kevin's experiences. We grok the same classic principles, but in my case that came only by first shutting my mouth and learning something new. I learned a lot. And as in EJ's case, I faced my fears and did the hard thing first.

By taking the road less traveled, "that has made all the difference."

Cheers

No comments: