18 May 2010

What Makes a Tom Hopkins Champion?

In 1997 I sacrificed greatly to attend a three-day Boot Camp by Tom Hopkins (http://www.tomhopkins.com/). After returning, my first sale doubled in a fingersnap because of some things I learned there. I still owe a huge debt of gratitude to Tom-- fantastic things he teaches, honed and laser-focused, and all based on honesty and integrity. Wonderful stuff.

However, the greatest lesson came shortly after when a water-purification salesman visited my friend, and per the Kool Aid, asked my friend for referrals. So my friend's telephone call got the salesman into my home.


Although I had NO intention, need, or ability to buy a water purification system upon hearing some buzzwords, I rapidly realized the fellow had fully embraced the Tom Hopkins methodology. As if on cue he'd ask exactly the question I'd just been schooled. He'd memorized every chapter and verse. Fresh out of a roomful of wannabes, my curiosity was piqued. I had to see how it worked in real life, so I dangled my gonads-- rationalizing that I could safely pull them back from the alligator at any time.


"After all," I thought, "I know what he's going to say. I just want to see how it all works. Forewarned is forearmed."


An hour later as my wife looked on, horrified, I handed over a check for $5,000. Rick Kania had wrangled it out of me as painlessly as taking candy from a baby. But I was the most amazed person in the room. How had he done it? I had truly been schooled.


Among other things I learned that (1) Someone who relentlessly learns and incessantly hones their craft is the most formidable opponent. No motion, action, thought, or question was offhanded, casual, or ineffectual. He knew what he was asking, and he knew what to do when I answered this way or that; (2) The only effective "no" is irrationality-- if you wish to appear sane, dignified, coherent, and apparently in control of things, you'll always surrender to the truth that another more effectively wields; (3) Never dangle your gonads.


And as the circle closed, and the gentleman took my check, he asked, "Who is your best friend? May I call-- no, actually, would YOU dial their number now? Just tell them you'd like them to meet someone..." he gently coaxed as he took the ringing receiver from my hands.


Cheers

Lee

No comments: