07 September 2008

Rancor Be Gone

I've noticed that fanaticism often becomes the gross summary of a person misunderstood.

Inside I cringe when I infrequently hear myself summarizing someone as "untrustworthy," "paranoid," or "dishonest," when their particular trait constituted only a small streak within an otherwise good person. I hate relegating to the dustbin of history the bulk of an otherwise salvageable (or misunderstood) personality trait.

As I reflect on what others must think of me, I think it interesting that almost every effort I've made to honor and obey the laws of man and God have somehow engendered resistance or eventual malefic outcome. Other than the occasional misstep, I still believe it is possible to maintain and retain friendships and business relationships, and I ponder constantly all workable ways to counter or avoid struggles that might eventually turn sour.

However, I am struck by the frequency of people who have been hurt by a business partner. When I was a kid I wondered why most old people seemed surly and mistrusting. As I get older, I see that my overriding mission is to keep normal wounds from turning to scar tissue. I don't want to be defensive, suspicious, or dour. The Savior could not manage to engender long-lived peace with those whom he knew, but as far as I can tell, he maintained a positive attitude.

In the long run I strive to keep peace within me, and work predicated on honesty, follow-through, and integrity. My understanding may be "off" when judged by those who look on my efforts as fanatical, but I try to live my life always predicated on endeavoring to do right.

The odd thing is that I'm reasonably certain that others are following the same prescription.

Would that rancor and misunderstanding be put behind us. If not merely towards beneficial cooperation, at least to tell me where I'm deficient so I can work on my problem(s).

Cheers!

No comments: