08 January 2007

Marketers Unite

Marketing is not sales. Yes, they are similar. Both are related, but the work is different.

My work as a marketing planning guy is centered on helping companies unify, codify, and operate their plans forward. Many companies have good ideas for products, but other than hopes of "just get out there and sell it" really don't know precisely how to move things forward.

That's where I come in.

I'm surely no genius, and (per the latest blog entry regarding Dr. Matsushita) I can't see forward 500 years, but at the same time, I can help these companies... by first seeing what is being done by competitors; second, by coming up with plans and directing production of support items (e.g., catalogs, websites, infomercials) to help support sales; and third, by helping them stay on track once they've decided what they will do.

That last item I find is the most important... and the first to be discarded in our current world. A unified company via a unified strategy is an unstoppable union. There is monumental strength is waking up each day and knowing, precisely, where to start chipping.

So I often help companies remove "the idea of the week" syndrome and keep them on course.

Seems this is somehow novel that someone would plan the work and then work the plan, but there it is.

MAKE it a great week!

Cheers

No comments: